A Birth record is closed information and can be available to the public on and after the 75th anniversary of the date of birth.
CAMERON COUNTY BIRTH RECORDS
All Births occurring outside the city limits of Brownsville, Harlingen, and San Benito, but within the County’s boundaries, are registered with the County Clerk, who serves as the Local Registrar as of January 1, 2009. Birth records maintained by the Cameron County Clerk’s office include the towns/cities of:
Port Isabel, Rancho Viejo, South Padre Island, Rio Hondo, La Feria, Santa Rosa, Los Fresnos, Laguna Heights, Laguna Vista, Bay view, Laureles, Indian Lake, Lozano, Las Yescas, Arroyo City, Cameron Park, Combes, Primera, Palm Valley, Santa Maria, Rangerville, Las Rusias, El Ranchito, El Calaboz, Villa Cavazos, San Pedro, La Paloma, Carricitos, Bluetown, Los Indios, Ratamosa, Solis, Stuart Place, Arroyo Alto, Landrum, and Villa Nueva.
CITY BIRTH RECORDS
Individuals born inside the city limits of Brownsville, Harlingen, and San Benito may contact the city halls to obtain birth records.
For more information contact:
City of Brownsville – Vital Statistics
City of Harlingen –Vital Statistics
City of San Benito – Vital Statistics
(956) 361-3804 ext. 210
TEXAS STATE BIRTH RECORDS
Individuals born in any County or City within the state of Texas may contact the Texas Vital Statistics Unit to request their Birth Record.
Department of State Health Services, Texas Vital Statistics Unit
(512) 776-7111 or 1-888-963-7111.
Only a qualified applicant may obtain a copy of a birth certificate:
- The registrant. The person named in the record.
- The parent, child, brother, sister, spouse, grandparent, legal guardian or managing conservator of the registrant.
- Legal representative, agent or other person acting under contract for the registrant must provide a letter of permission and a copy of identification from the registrant.
- An applicant must provide all necessary information and show proper identification prior to obtaining the certificate.
- If you are requesting a birth certificate for a grandchild, you will need to bring the child’s parent’s birth certificates to identify relationship. If you are applying for a passport, the long form birth certificate is required for the application.
Information needed to obtain a birth certificate:
- Full name on birth certificate
- Date and place of birth
- Father’s full name
- Mother’s full maiden name
- Name, address and phone number of the requester
- Relationship to person on birth record
- Valid identification (driver’s license preferred)
- Purpose of obtaining the birth certificate
Follow link for updated midwife licensing information: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/midwives/midwives.htm