County Maps

Financial and Court Registry General Information

Depositing Funds by order of the court , the registry can accept the following funds:

  • Funds for a minor child to be held until the child the age of 18, or until further order of the court
  • Funds that are currently in dispute by two or more parties
  • Cash bonds posted with the Civil and probate court
  • Cash bail bonds criminal cases.

Change of Address

To update an address with the Court Registry, write a brief letter notifying our office of the new address and fax the letter to (956) 550-1464 or mail it to:
Cameron County Clerk Office
ATTN: Court Registry
P.O. Box 2178
Brownsville, Texas 78521

Withdrawing Minor Funds

If you have funds in the registry, have turned 18 and wish to withdraw those funds, our office can prepare an order for disbursement or this may be handled through a private attorney. To have our office prepare the order, please review our Application to withdraw funds from the registry of the court and submit the necessary documents.

Once a completed Application to withdraw funds has been submitted to our office, we prepare the order and send it to court, where a judge must sign it. The average timeframe is approximately six to eight weeks, depending on the court’s schedule.

Withdrawing Other Funds

The registry must have a signed court order in order to release funds on deposit. An order can be prepared by hiring and attorney or by going to any law library to obtain information how to prepare and order.

Administrative expenses

Please note an administrative expense shall be deducted from each withdrawal, depending on the type of withdrawal. The deduction is not optional. It is required by Local Government Code § 117.054 and § 117.055. Local Government Code § 117.054 states if an account earns interest, the clerk at the time of withdrawal, shall deduct 10% of interest earned and shall be paid to the county’s general fund. Local Government Code § 117.055 states the clerk must, at the time of withdrawal, deduct a fee of 5% of the total amount but shall not exceed $50 from non-interest bearing accounts.

Unclaimed Funds

Minor’s funds that are unclaimed by the age of 21 are relinquished (escheated) to the State or to the County, depending on amount. Sums that are over $100 will be relinquished to the State and sums under $100 will be forwarded to the County treasurer. Monies that are escheated to the State may be claimed from the Unclaimed Property Division.


Accounting Statements

The current interest rate accrued on Court Registry Accounts is a variable rate that changes daily and is compounded monthly. The interest rate share is calculated on a pro rata share of the daily registry balance and interest earnings. Interest is posted to the accounts on a monthly basis. If the interest earned on an account is $10.00 or more, a 1099-INT Form is mailed out on or before January 31st of each year.

If a Form W-9 is not on file, the applicable percent of interest earned as determined by the Internal Revenue Service will be withheld until a Form W-9 is received. A Form W-9 is a Certification of Taxpayer’s Tax Identification Number. Once you have completed the Form W-9,  you may fax it to us at (956) 550-1464 or mail to:

Cameron County Clerk Office
ATTN: Court Registry Section
P.O. Box 2178
Brownsville, Texas 78521

To receive a statement of funds deposited into the court registry, you may send a letter, which includes the case (cause) number along with all other identifying information to our office. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope with appropriate postage, usually one stamp for every five pages to be returned.


Refunds are batch processed at the end of each month and take approximately six to eight weeks from the last day of the month in which the refund was processed.

Redeeming Returned Items

Return items must be redeemed with our office immediately with two separate money orders or cashier’s checks. The first payment should cover the amount of the original check and second payment is for the bank service fee of $35.00